12.12.2010

A lesson.

I recently had an interesting conversation with my boss at Kumon, a math and reading tutoring center that in my native Ohio is a hotbed of overachieving Indian and Asian kids. However, here in Chicago, the second-story suite at 55th and Lake Park paints a very different picture.

You can feel the desperation in the waiting room. Parents whose children are in seventh grade and can’t do addition yet flip aimlessly through the magazines that my boss leaves out there randomly (we boast a copy of Skymall from 2000…). These are not the parents who form our friend circle in Dayton. They range from high school dropouts to high-powered lawyers, all crammed in this airless room that smells of our janitor’s unwashed hair, craning their necks to see what I’m teaching their children. They need this center, and this center needs them—my boss admitted that he loses about half of his students every year at December (though it’s yet to happen this year), perhaps because parents can’t keep up with the tuition (around $100 per subject per month). Then again, what choice do they have now?

It was Sunday, and I was sitting in front of the center’s tired Toshiba laptop, typing in test scores because my boss still insists on using paper records instead of cutting out that middle step. I don’t complain. Actually I do, endlessly, but never to his face.

While browsing his emails for him, I noticed that one of his Chrome tabs was open to the recently published article on Shanghai’s PISA scores. As some of you may know, China recently entered the international standardized-testing ring. The New York Times basically shit its pants over how high the Shanghai test scores were—although why that should be surprising, I have no idea. I mean, what are Asian kids known for, besides being whizzes at math and piano? I may be the only known exception on Earth.

Anyway, my boss and I got into a discussion of the current educational system in America, which I’ve become fascinated with ever since I started working here. I mean, we’re tutoring this woman who’s going to take the Illinois teaching exam for the third time, and she can’t answer the question:

“What percent of 36 is 30?”

(Incidentally, an English major at UChicago told me laughingly that she wasn’t even sure she’d be able to do that, which…didn’t quite make me laugh.)

America currently ranks around 30th in the world in reading and math, and yet some of my peers don’t see much reason to be very concerned. People crow about American innovation, without realizing that people down the street from them have children who are thirteen and can’t yet read a picture book. What can we do? We read about all the latest gimmicks, school districts complaining that they can’t teach because they don’t have the latest computer system. But I think it goes deeper than that.

We need a change in cultural perspective before anything else. There are many things wrong with the Chinese system, and I’ll be the first to admit it, but the one lesson that Americans should take from this might be the Chinese “culture of education”, as the Times put it. China has long placed emphasis on filial duty and respect for elders, so that children think of teachers as people who actually have something to teach them. There’s no complaining about students being “overworked” or “pressured” just because they have two quizzes in one day—successful students in China recognize that they are just that: students. Education is the focus, and as a result, Chinese students are on the rise in the world. Although American universities are still on top and still attract the highest caliber of students from around the world, the day is coming when other nations will have the resources to challenge American universities. Already, we see an increased number of international students leaving America after school to return to their native countries, taking their new skills back with them.
Of course, respect for teachers goes hand in hand with all of this. The woman who can’t figure percents is admirable for wanting to go into the teaching, but that doesn’t mean she should be allowed to. In all likelihood, she will eventually pass the test—with tutors holding her hand every step of the way. 

What’s going to happen when she faces a classroom of seventh graders, most of whom do math at the 4th grade level?

We need to make the teaching profession what it ought to be: a respected calling, with pay that corresponds to the hard work good teachers put in. It’s almost criminal that people who get up at 5 in the morning every day to shape America’s future barely make enough to be considered middle class. Of course, I may be biased, being the daughter of two professors. But I’ve seen and experienced firsthand what a difference good teachers can make, and how far we can be set back by mediocre ones.

My boss asked me whether I think what made America great still lingers in its soil and its people. In his opinion, if we can reach back to our roots, we can remain on top forever, and I agree. But if we don’t adjust soon, we lose that chance. So what exactly was it that made this country the beautiful place it is today? How can we fight the double-edged sword of complacent arrogance and helplessness in the face of our educational problems? We owe it to ourselves to think this over.

4 comments:

  1. This is a really good post! I completely agree. I do think a lot of privileged children don't take school seriously and don't have respect for their teachers/the education system the way Chinese students do. However, I think the education system is more of a problem for underprivileged students in low socioeconomic classes who do not have the proper domestic support to scrape by each day, let alone dedicate time to doing math and science homework. As far as teachers go, I don't think they have it all too bad. They get summers off and lots of government benefits, and definitely enough to support themselves (but maybe not a family of 5, for instance?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that teachers definitely have some perks, and of course, the educational system is more problematic for students in lower-income houses. I guess I wasn't too clear on that. Students from lower-income houses are the ones who won't take school seriously, though, since the prospect of college or a good job doesn't really enter their field of vision. As you noted in one of your own posts, college was a guarantee, something kids like you and I took for granted. But underprivileged kids don't even have that incentive to work, which is one of the saddest things I've witnessed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it is very sad. :( At least you're doing your part to help them out! Oh Kumon... I always felt bad for those kids (the Chinese and Indian ones who were being forced to do 8th grade math in 2nd grade haha)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agree strongly with 95% of this. It's crazy how much of a difference a slight change in work ethic can affect individuals' performances:
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=the-secret-to-raising-smart-kids

    I'm not sure that overall pay for teachers need to go up, but I think there needs to be more consistency in education within the U.S. Due to America's strong federalism, education is funded at a more local level than in most countries (to my knowledge), which means the bottom gets left behind more in other countries. However, the U.S. still spends more on education than most other developed countries (though I realize that part of that is slightly higher standard of living costs).
    Also, I think that teachers deserve more cultural respect.

    I'd disagree that America can stay on top. America was made great by ideas of social mobility that other countries didn't have at the time. Unfortunately, we've lost this now. Plus, we were helped out by two world wars that hit at the right time and devastated the great powers at the time. Now, Americans are too spoiled and lazy to maintain their dominance.

    ReplyDelete