12.15.2010

I eat, therefore I am.

There is something strange about our household. At least once a day, the Food Network is on, with its cheerful images of food that the viewer can neither taste nor smell--and you would think that no one would watch such shows, since it's essentially like putting an orchestra of well-dressed musicians on a screen, then pressing the mute button.

So why do I love the Food Network? I can't really cook, and I don't even attempt baking. The food on the show is very different from what I eat at home--I watch specials on southern-style barbecue and Italian food while eating my rice.

I thought maybe it was the comfort of watching experts and their deft handling of a craft that is still a world away from me--but if that were the case, then I'd get a huge kick out of watching golf. And it can't quite be the personalities that draw me in every time, since I find Paula Deen slightly horrifying, Bobby Flay annoying, and Sandra Lee the devil herself.

I will semi-homemake your soul into submission.

Why does anyone watch the Food Network? Is watching people make a cake really that interesting? (yes, but why?) Do you really glean useful tips and recipes from the shows? If I want to make anything, I always end up going to the website for the recipe...but in that case, why not just have the website without the tv? Writing about this is making me want to watch Iron Chef America.

For that matter, why have I started reading Slashfood, the blog about food trends? I can't even really call myself a foodie, since I'm limited by a student's budget even in a foodie paradise like Chicago. I'm genuinely puzzled by this. Maybe I'm masochistic, making myself drool over food that I'll probably never eat.

Either way, I hope I come out of this whole phase (if it is a phase, which I'm starting to doubt) a better cook. What do you think? I wonder if other people have truly inexplicable interests.

No comments:

Post a Comment