1.06.2011

Back to the Grind

Whenever I'm in Chicago, I always end up thinking about one thing:
money.

I came back on the second and almost immediately headed over to Kumon, which was still littered with the remains of a holiday party that occurred on the 24th of December....luckily, my boss conscripted his daughter into the cleanup, so I could concentrate on the always life-affirming work of making copies. Which I proceeded to do for three hours. I think that everyone who works at Kumon might, at some point in their life, become a Marxist.

I've really started to view money in a different light. Instead of swinging by Forever21 and snatching up the first ten-dollar top I see, I have to stop and think. Ten dollars is an hour of my time. It's really throwing a wrench into my internet shopping habit, for one thing.

On a related note, my Physical Sciences class today discussed the following topic:
"Weather...sometimes we can predict and sometimes we can't, and when it's bad, it costs people money."
As I was sitting there, watching my friend's eyes glaze over, I checked facebook for the third time and thought about how this hour and twenty minute session was costing my family hundreds of dollars. In exchange for learning next to nothing, I was in essence using up tens of hours of my own labor-time. Then I cried tears of gratitude that I don't have to fully finance my own education. I really admire those who see the value of education clearly enough to work for it.

On an unrelated note, I hope everyone had a great holiday! I'm already planning Spring Break.

No comments:

Post a Comment